Monday, December 17, 2012

Chickpea-Cilantro Dip

This dip is really thick, almost like a pate. It may not look too appetizing but it was good. :)

Hello all! I hope you had an awesome Monday! I know I was dipping it up as always. :D

Today I made a dip with chickpeas and cilantro (since I had a craving for chickpeas and I had some cilantro to use up) and voila! This funky colored masterpiece came out! LOL! It's not the most appetizing of colors but the flavor makes up for it, I promise. If you're one of those people who has a hate relationship with cilantro, no fret! You could totally make this with any other fresh herbs, such as basil or parsley, if that is your thing. Although, I personally have not tried this particular recipe with those different herbs, but have tried a hummus recipe with a bunch of basil, and it was oobertastic! So, I'm sure it could work here.

Although, to me, nothing compares to the lovely aroma of cilantro. It brings me back to when I was living at home and my mom's cooking. Every time I smelled the aroma of cilantro in the house, I knew mom was going to be making some fresh sofrito for some good old fashioned Puerto Rican rice and beans.Yum! I know I'm biased, but my mom has the best beans in town! I would go to any other restaurant and snub at their rendition, because I was spoiled by mom's. Thank goodness she taught me how to make those lovely beans, but now that we both are into the healthier lifestyle, I make it a little different and swap out canned tomatoes for fresh (since I prefer not to eat anything from a can becasue I try to avoid as much as possible my exposure to bisphenol A (BPA)) and changed out the Goya Adobo and Sazon seasonings for organic spices. It still doesn't come out the same, but I'm working on it! LOL! She still likes my renditions and fusions of her Puerto Rican style beans, so that makes me happy. :)

Well, here's the dippity dip!
Enjoy with avocado, tomato, and olives! Woot! :) 
Chickpea-Cilantro Dip
Yield: Approximately 2 cups (Approximately 5 servings)

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1 cup packed cilantro (coriander) leaves with tender stems 
2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons lemon juice
7 to 8 tablespoons water, enough to get it creamy (about 1/2 cup)

Directions:
Place the pumpkin and sunflower seeds in the food processor and grind down into really tiny crumbly pieces. Add the cilantro and process again so the leaves and stems break into pieces. Add the chickpeas, garlic, salt, lemon juice, and water and blend until completely creamy. You will need to scrape the sides. Be patient! It will get there! Enjoy!

Notes:
  • You can add 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder seasoning to the dip to add a southwestern flair!
  • Change up the herbs for a different flavor (like parsley or basil)
  • If you don't have pumpkin seeds and have sunflower or vise versa, you could use all one seed and it will still turn out fine! Feel free to use what you have, it might come out even better with another seed or nut!


Here is the full nutritional information for this dip and here is the general nutritional information for this dip from CRON-O-Meter:

Talk to you all soon and thanks for stopping by! Feel free to comment, I love to hear from you.

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment