Monday, December 17, 2012

Creamy Cashew Garlic Dip (or Dressing)


Hello all! I hope you're doing well and enjoying this beautiful life. I just wanted to remind you that we are all gorgeous and lovely in our own way. Remember that. I know I sometimes we all need that reassurance and I want you to always remember that it's perfectly alright to be uniquely and lovely you! We are all working on our stuff and entering my twenties, I finally realized that I am not the only one with issues and that people who I thought were "perfect" in my eyes have many issues they are going through. It's somewhat comforting to realize that I'm not the only 'crazy' one, so to speak!

Being the only plant based eater in my family has been hard and made me feel even more self conscious in my own skin, but I have learned to embrace my uniqueness within my family and appreciate that they still love me for me, no matter what food I choose to eat or what lifestyle I choose to live. I think finally understanding that and trying to shine bright in my own skin has really boosted my self confidence and acceptance of who I am as a human being. What also helps me is how my boyfriend appreciates all that I do for him, especially the food I make for him. He has been a shining light in helping me accept who I am. I am pretty lucky to have him in my life and for all his support. Have you ever felt a bit isolated or self-conscious in your own skin for your food choices or for any other reason? I would love to hear your response.

Well, anyhoo, now it's time for the dip recipe! I love this recipe to use as a cheesy sauce topping on tacos, mixed into some quinoa, massaged into an enormous kale salad, and of course, used as a dip for anything your heart desires! (Cucumbers anyone?). It's super duper yummy and lasts for a few days in the fridge (if it makes it that long! lol!).

Also, I will eventually post a dip recipe that includes beans. The raw recipes I have been making lately have turned out a lot better than the bean ones, so I will definitely get around to posting an awesome bean one that is up to par! No fret, fibrous beans are coming your way! :P

Some creamy cashew garlic dip on some quinoa and a cucumber. The dip (dressing) melted  a little once it hit the hot quinoa, but it was still oober yummy. :P


Creamy Cashew Garlic Dip
Yield: Approximately 2/3 cup

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water (or 3 fluid ounces)

Directions:
In a small personal blender or in a coffee grinder, grind the cashews into a flour. If using the coffee grinder, place the ground cashews into the personal coffee grinder and add the garlic, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, salt, and water. Blend until completely smooth and Enjoy!

Notes:

  • This will thicken upon storage, so you may add a little more water to thin, if desired for a more dressing consistency.
  • This may be a bit salty for some, so you can start with about 1/8 teaspoon of salt and work your way up.
I was surprised to see the amount of protein from one serving of this dip (8 grams!), the amount of copper is almost 35% of you daily value for one serving and the B-Vitamin values are pretty high too (which is from the nutritional yeast). The sodium content is pretty high so you could totally adjust the salt amounts without compromising flavor, I feel. But If you don't add any more salt to your meal, I feel you could be good to go!

Here is the link to the full nutritional info on this dip and here is the basic nutrition information from CRON-O-Meter:


Thanks so much for stopping by and I wish you all happy eating!

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment