Saturday, December 15, 2012

Ginger "Pumpkin Pie" Dip

Look at the beautiful color! Gotta love winter squash. 

Hello all! I hope you're enjoying your Saturday. I know I'm enjoying relaxing and spending time with the boyfriend on this wonderful rainy day. For seem reason, after leaving New York and coming to live in Arizona, I've started to really love and appreciate the rain. I loved it back home in New York, but now it's pitter patter is so much more welcoming. :)

Well, enough about the weather. I think it's definitely the season for ginger and spices. Every time Fall comes around, I want to create more dishes with ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice. They seem to warm my body for the winter and my soul. Must be nostalgia! Well, speaking of those flavors, that brings me to this inspired dip. It was made out of the need to fulfill my desire for some ginger and spices, but it was also made out of respect and dedication to a great raw chef named Sara Siso.

Chef Sara with her wheatgrass! 

I was fortunate to work under Sara in her restaurant, Chef's Sara's Raw Vegan Academy and Cafe, for a few weeks and  learn her ways of raw vegan cuisine. She is such a passionate raw chef and so knowledgeable of all the ingredients she uses. And she doesn't skimp on them either. Sara always gets top quality organic ingredients and will not compromise here or there for her customers. That is one of the things that makes me respect her so much. In addition to her food being super duper flavorful and yummy and that she healed herself from cancer using fresh raw vegan foods! She really is super passionate at what she does and it is really rare to see that.

While I was working under her, she showed me how she made her raw quiche and was I astounded at the flavor! So good! So I decided to make a rendition similar to hers but with my own twist and ingredients (plus no crust). The flavor was oobers!

Ginger "Pumpkin Pie" Dip
Yield: Approximately 2 cups (About 4 servings)
Ingredients:
3 cups peeled and chopped ambercup squash (about 1/2 inch dice)
1 1/4 teaspoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon of minced garlic
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
3 tablespoons softened coconut butter (not the oil!)
1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Place the squash in the food processor and process until it breaks down into very tiny pieces and it is almost  creamy. Scrape the sides and add the ginger, garlic, coconut aminos, coconut sugar, coconut butter, curry powder, and salt and process until the mixture turns creamy and is completely combined.
Enjoy on top of a salad, as a spread on a wrap or bread, or anything you like!

Notes:
  • I call it "pumpkin pie" dip because it reminds me of pumpkin pie, even though it is not a dessert. However, it's one of those foods that is sweet and savory at the same time. 
  • A high speed blender would have been great to get this really creamy, but it is still pretty darn good in the food processor. If you don't mind it not being completely raw, you could steam the chopped squash for about 5 minutes to get it soft. In this way it will break down and become creamier as it processes in the food processor.
  • If you can't find ambercup squash, you could totally use butternut or kobocha squash. Be creative and put your own spin!
Here's the nutrition facts from CRON-O-Meter:

Hope you enjoy it! Talk to you all soon!


Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment