Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pistachio-Almond Freezer Cookies

Gotta love pistachios. :P
Hi all! I hope you're all doing well. 

I hope you won't be disappointed today because I don't have a dip recipe for you. It's not even close to a dip. It's a cookie! A raw one at that which was inspired by the famous rainbow cookies with a touch of almond essence and with a beautiful twist from the green pistachios. Oh how I love pistachios. :) Their green color is so pretty, plus they are lower in fat compared to other nuts. Woot! 

Raw cookies are one of my most favorite things to make, because they are almost foolproof and they make great little gifts! If you want to give someone a quick little treat from the heart, these are good to go. And plus, you could always keep a few on hand for you in the freezer for when your sweet tooth hits. 

If you really love almond flavored cookies, you're gonna love these. One day, I want to make a raw version of my cherished and beloved Italian rainbow cookies (aka tri-colored cookies or Italian flag cookies) that I always used to get when I was younger from a local bagel shop near me when I lived in New York . Those cookies had such a lovely almond flavor with some apricot and raspberry jam in the middle of the layers and was topped with a chocolate ganache. Oh, so good, but not so healthy. :P So, since I didn't have all the ingredients to make the raw rainbow cookie version and I really wanted to use those lovely pistachios I had on hand, I made these, which are much easier to make, have a similar flavor, and are super yummy (and much better for you than those sugar filled rainbow cookies from my favorite bagel shop). 

So, if you're in the mood for some yummy almond and pistachio goodness, you've come to the right place! If you want a new dip recipe, you're gonna have to wait for tomorrow, unfortunately. I'm sure these will make up for it though. :P


Pistachio-Almond Freezer Cookies
Yield: 19 cookies (1 tablespoon in size)

Ingredients:
½ cup shelled raw pistachios
½ cup almonds
1 cup coconut flakes
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
½ cup golden raisins

Directions:
Place pistachios in the food processor and process until they almost form into a flour. Place in a bowl. Process the almonds and coconut flakes separately in the same way and place in that same bowl. Make sure not to process the nuts and coconut so much that they turn into nut butter.

Add all the nut and coconut flours back to the processor and add the salt, coconut sugar and extracts and pulse to combine.

Add the raisins and process until the mixture can stick together when pressed between two fingers. You don’t want it to crumble away when stuck together, but you want it just firm enough to really stick together.

Firmly press the mixture into a 1 tablespoon measure and place on parchment paper to store within a container. Repeat with the rest of the mixture and place in the freezer for about ½ hour to set. Enjoy!

Note:
  • They may be placed in the fridge once they are set.
  • Instead of making individual cookie rounds, make these into bars by pressing into a square shape on parchment paper about a 1/2 inch thick, cutting into bite sized bar shapes, and freeze. Still so good but much quicker.

I couldn't stop taking pictures of these little darlings! :)

Here is the full nutritional information for these cookies and here is the basic nutritional information below from CRON-O-Meter:

Hope you enjoy these little jewels as much as I did! Thanks for stopping by and I will talk to you all soon!

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment