Saturday, January 26, 2013

Buffalo Chick Dip


I love all the pretty colors of the different dippers! That's right! I''m not only using cucumbers this time! LOL! ;)
Hi all! I hope everyone is doing well. I have to let you in on a little secret. After making so many different dips, I sometimes have to rack my head for new ideas! LOL! But right when I think my inspiration is running on empty, lo and behold I find something that is not only different but intrigues me! 

I first found inspiration for this Buffalo Chick Dip through another awesome blog called GF (Gluten Free) in the City. What I found on her site were not only some awesome gluten free eats and pictures, I found inspiration! Her blog is now completely vegan but she still has recipes from before her transition to a plant-based lifestyle and I look to that and sometimes find the best inspirations through non-vegan sources. However, I got inspired from her vegan Buffalo Chickpea Dip, which looks freaking amazing by the way, and I think is definitely worth trying if you don't mind doing Daiya cheese (or maybe try to make your own cheddar substitute from this other awesome blogger! This coconut milk cheddar cheese recipe is certainly on my list of things to make. :P Gotta get some agar flakes first and definitely be making some coconut milk for it. Ah so many recipes! Too little time. :P). I would also probably try to make my own hot sauce for the recipe too so it can be totally organic. I'm a little crazy about making everything from scratch. :P

Anyhoo, I thought to myself, "Maybe I can do something similar to that but without the Daiya and making it spicy with cayenne pepper and chipotle and without baking it?" Okay maybe I deconstructed it a bit but I couldn't post this recipe without giving Britt some credit from GF in the City. You got some brains and skills girl! Thank you so much! :) 


Now to some this recipe may look a little daunting, especially if you don't have experience opening up young Thai coconuts. But no fret! I list another substitution that you can use. I just happen to have an abundance of leftover coconut meat from opening up so many coconuts for their wonderful electrolyte filled water! So yummy... :P

And by the way, no chickadees were harmed in this dip so you could eat with a clear conscience! Woot!



●●
Buffalo Chick Dip
Yield: Approximately 2 cups (About 8, ¼ cup servings)

Ingredients:
½ cup young Thai coconut meat
1 – 2 tablespoons water
¼ cup cashews
1 ½ cups cooked and drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
½ cup chopped zucchini (1 inch chop)
½ cup chopped red bell pepper (½ inch chop)
4 tablespoons sliced green onions (green and white parts)
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¾ teaspoon minced garlic
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon cayenne powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon chipotle powder

Directions:
Place the coconut meat and 1 tablespoon of water (or two tablespoons if the coconut meat is really thick) in a small blender (like a Magic Bullet type blender) and blend until thick and creamy. Make sure just to add enough water so the blades can get moving and fully break down the coconut meat into a thick cream. This should result in about 2/3 cup of coconut cream. Set aside.
Place the cashews in the food processor and process until it almost turns into a nut buttery like consistency. Add the coconut cream, chickpeas, zucchini, red bell pepper, green onions, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, garlic, salt, apple cider vinegar, cayenne powder, onion powder, and chipotle powder and process until completely smooth. Enjoy!


Tips:
  • Feel free to replace the young Thai coconut meat with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of a creamy nut or seed such as cashews, Brazil nuts, or pili nuts (which is what I used since I have so many in the freezer!). Instead of blending it up first in the blender you could throw all the nuts all at once in the food processor to break it down until it becomes somewhat of a paste consistency. Then add the 2 to 4 tablespoons of water to really get it creamy. Then follow the recipe as usual. 
  • This dip is a bit spicy! So if you have an aversion to spice, I would start with 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon first of cayenne and work your way up. The same goes for the chipotle powder, start with about 1/8 teaspoon and work your way up. But the little kick it gives is so good. :) Like real buffalo flavor! 
  • I realized after I put in the zucchini that I could have used all red bell pepper instead of some zucchini and some bell pepper. This will give it a deeper pepper flavor and a redder color. :) Just substitute the same amount of bell pepper for the zucchini and make the dip as usual. Yum! 
  • As the dip sits in the fridge it will get spicier and the flavors will develop more, so you can make it the night before and enjoy it the next day for full flavor. :P
●●


Such pretty colors! :P
This dip would be great as an appetizer for the Superbowl! It's all the chick without the wing. ;)

Here is the full nutritional information for the dip using all cashews since there is no nutritional data for the young Thai coconut meat on CRON-O-Meter. And below you will see the basic nutritional information for this dip:
Thank you so much for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment. I would love to hear what you have to say! :) I will see you all soon! 
Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment