Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cauliflower-Zucchini Dip

I love the little dill fronds. I think they're so cute! :)
Hi all! I hope everyone is doing well. Today I finally have a raw dip for you. It's a version of something I like to make from time to time because it reminds me of mashed potatoes. Mmmm... But without all the starchiness! I love that! Plus it feels a little lighter than your typical mashed potatoes because it is full of water rich foods like zucchini and cauliflower. Ahh... I love water rich foods. I can't wait for grape season to come so I can have my most favorite water rich fruit around the apartment! Oh grapie-ness...! :D Sorry... I got a little sidetracked. I just miss my grapes so much! :P

Anyway, back to the dip. :P I know that some people do not like raw cauliflower as much as I do, so don't panic! You could definitely steam the cauliflower beforehand and add it in the recipe as you would the raw cauliflower. The dip will most likely break down a lot easier in the food processor because of this and might be a little creamier. I do think though that the zucchini and all the other ingredients mask its 'rawness' pretty well.

So enjoy some dip with a nice salad, like in the photos, or just dip it up! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)

●●
Cauliflower-Zucchini Dip
Yield: Approximately 3 cups (About 6, ½ cup servings)

Ingredients:
¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
2 cups zucchini, ½ inch chop
2 cups cauliflower, 1 inch chop
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons chickpea miso (or other light  
      miso)
¾ – 1 ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced dill (optional)
1 teaspoon coconut sugar (or coconut nectar 
      or maple syrup) (optional)
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon onion powder


Directions:
Place the pine nuts and pepitas in the food processor and process until it almost turns into a nut buttery like consistency. Add the zucchini and cauliflower and process until they are broken down. Scrape down the food processor bowl and then add the nutritional yeast flakes, olive oil, lemon juice, miso, garlic, dill, coconut sugar, black pepper, salt, and onion powder and process until completely smooth. Enjoy! 


Tips:
  • Feel free to replace the pine nuts for another creamy nut or seed such as cashews, Brazil nuts, or pili nuts (which is what I used since I have so many in the freezer!). You could also replace the pepitas for some sunflower seeds or more of the pine nuts (or other white creamy nut).
  • The addition of dill and coconut sugar are optional but they give the dip an extra dimension of flavor, especially the dill. I am loving dill lately; a little too much!
  • If you're not as big of a garlic fan as me, you could start with the lower end of the garlic amount and work your way up. Although all that garlic really makes it good. :)
●●

This dip is waiting to be devoured... :P
One serving of this dip is chock full of B Vitamins, almost half your daily value for Vitamin C and manganese, and has a good dose of healthy fats. Plus a good amount of folate and iron too! Woohoo! :)

Here is the full nutritional information for this dip and below is the basic nutritional information from CRON-O-Meter:


Thank you so much for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts on anything! :) I hope you enjoy the dip and the rest of your evening. I'll be seeing you soon with another dip! :P

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment