Thursday, January 3, 2013

Peppery Chickpea Walnut Dip

Me and my boyfriend were trying to simulate a light box feel with this photo. We're trying to make the photos look more professional! Hopefully it's working. If anything, it's so much fun. :P
Hi all! Hope all is going well! I have a dip for you all today! I have been a little obsessed with pepper as of late (black pepper to be exact) and have grown to really love it's spicy, peppery flavor. I love it in raw crackers, brown rice, and especially popcorn. It just makes everything taste better. :P

So with that said, I have a raw dip for you that features the spicy kick of black pepper, as well as the pungent-ness of garlic. It's strong so don't talk near any of you're friends afterwards. :P I gotta say that I am a little too fond of garlic, so if you feel you ever would like a recipe that features something without garlic, let me know! I know that some people stay away from it for spiritual reasons, so I would love the challenge! My roommate and friend, Melinda, from my time at Living Light Culinary Institute chose also not to eat any onions or garlic and we would make pesto and raw flax crackers, at the inn we stayed at, all the time and they all tasted pretty darn good without the garlic! It actually surprised me. I used asefetida (a tree resin with a pungent almost oniony flavor and smell) instead of garlic and it worked wonderfully. Those were fun times! :) We always had pesto around for dipping! LOL! Melinda could make a mean pesto and really knew how to create such awesome flavors without garlic. I am going to have to learn her techniques.

Anyhoo, here's the chickpea dip recipe in all it's peppery and garlicky goodness. :P

Ah... The dip paired with my favorite dipper: the mighty cucumber :)
●●
Peppery Chickpea Walnut Dip
Yield: Approximately 2 cups (About 6 1/3 cup servings)

Ingredients:
½ cup walnuts
1 ½ cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup water

Directions:
Place the walnuts in the food processor and process until broken down and formed into almost a nut butter consistency.
Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and water and process until ingredients are fully combined and smooth. Enjoy!

Notes:
  • If you are not used to spicy foods or are not a big fan of pungent garlic flavor, start with half or even a quarter of the suggested garlic powder and black pepper amount and work your way up to suit your tastes. 
  • If you don't have walnuts, no fret! You could definitely use any nut and/or seed you have on hand, although the walnuts give a wonderful buttery flavor and balance really nicely with the chickpeas.
  • This is great as a mock tuna spread and even to put on a sandwich. Hardy and filling and full of fiber! Woot!
●●

I had to take a bite...
Here's the full nutritional information for the dip and here is the basic nutritional information:

Well, I hope you all enjoy this dip recipe. I got more coming! Take care and thanks so much for visiting! I would love to hear from you!

Love,
Rawnessa <3

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment