Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Raw Bread (For Real!)

All the yummers slices!
Hello all! Hope all is going well and that you enjoyed or are enjoying the holidays! It's been a relaxing time for me and all about cooking (or preparing food for my raw dishes :P). I catered some raw desserts for a party for my boyfriend's mom's friend, which was a lot of fun but quite a bit of work. LOL! Who knew making a raw pumpkin pie would take so long! Haha...! I wish I had some decent pictures of them all. I made chocolate and vanilla macaroons, chocolate ice cream, and a pumpkin pie: all raw, vegan, and organic. I hope the guests at the party enjoyed it all! I know I enjoyed taste testing it. :P

Well, since I had left over almond pulp from making almond milk for the chocolate ice cream, I decided to make some raw bread. Oh how I love bread, but I haven't eaten it in years since it doesn't really agree with me and I prefer not to eat things that are baked. So, I decided to make this bread which is based off the recipe from Ami Sue on her blog (which is freaking amazing! She has such lovely pictures and recipes; definitely check her out!). She is a fellow Living Light graduate (not the same class as me) and has really quite a following on her site. It really inspires me to see other fellow graduates doing so well. Congrats Ami Sue!

I changed the recipe up a bit because I really wanted to make this recipe grain free and the results were delicious! My boyfriend can't stop eating it! And neither can I! LOL! Thank goodness it makes quite a bit, but it is going fast. The flavor reminds me of the biscuits I used to get from Popeye's fast food restaurant (which I used to eat at when I was younger unfortunately) and they have such a lovely texture. I still want to work on the recipe a bit to make them a little spongier (perhaps the addition of psyllium or a zucchini?), but it is still a winner in my book. :) It's a little more involved than most of my recipes on the blog but it is so worth it. Well, enough talking! Here's the recipe:

It's like real whole grain bread! :)
●●
Raw Bread
Yield: 1 8 inch long loaf (about 10 ½ inch slices)

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh almond pulp (left over from making almond milk)
1 cup ground walnuts (be careful not to over blend/process so that it doesn't turn into butter)
1 cup ground down coconut flakes (be careful not to over blend/process so that it doesn't turn 
      into butter)
½ cup flax meal
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup blended kelp noodle paste or Irish moss paste (see tip below)*
1 tablespoon xylitol granules, from Birch trees (can use another sweetener such as coconut nectar, maple syrup, agave, or honey)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup water, if needed (more or less as need to make a dry dough)

Directions:
Place the almond pulp, walnuts, coconut, flax meal, and salt in the food processor and process until light, fluffy and combined. Add the kelp noodle paste, xylitol, lemon juice, and water (if needed) and pulse until dough ingredients are fully combined but is still fluffy. You do not want to over process the dough.
Take out and form into a loaf about 2 – 3 inches high and 8 inches long. Smooth out and create cross marks on top of the loaf as guidelines as to where to cut when you make slices. I made the marks on a diagonal  Place on a mesh dehydrator sheet and dehydrate at 145 degrees for one hour (this creates an outer crust and makes it easier for you to cut the bread into slices).
Turn the heat down to 105 degrees and slice the bread on the score marks you made (about ½ inch thick slices, depending on your thickness preference). Place the bread slices back on the mesh dehydrator sheet and dehydrate for about 6 – 8 hours more or until your desired texture is achieved (you don’t want it to be too dry just crispy on the outside and still a bit moist on the inside). Let cool and enjoy with your favorite toppings (or any of the dips from this website! :P)
Store in a glass container in the refrigerator for about 5 days.

Tips:
  • To make kelp noodle paste: soak the contents of a 12 ounce bag of kelp noodles in water for about 2 hours and rinse. Place the noodles in the high speed blender and add enough water to get the blades going and to make the noodles into a really smooth paste. Test to see if it is grainy by pressing between two fingers.
  • This will make more paste than the recipe needs but you can freeze this in tablespoon proportions so you can use whenever you need it. Great for giving breads, desserts, and mousses a lighter texture and it thickens without having to use so many nuts. Adjust the amounts of paste depending on the amount of finished product; use about 1 - 5 tablespoons of paste to 1 cup of finished product. I like to use this instead of Irish moss because it's much easier to clean and doesn't have that fishy smell. :P Plus, it is also less expensive. Can't beat that! I will try to do a post on making kelp noodle paste soon with pictures and full directions. 
Notes:
  • I didn't have to add extra water but you can do so if you think the dough is not coming together. But remember, the dough is not supposed to be very wet.
  • If you don't have the kelp noodle paste, no fret! Just leave it out, although the texture will be a little different. 
●●



I would love to provide the nutritional information but I don't have a reliable source of the nutritional information of almond pulp. :( Sorry about that. But I gotta tell you that this bread is way more nutritious than regular baked wheat bread! Enjoy with love. :)

Hope to hear from you all and have an awesome week and New Years if I don't post before then! Thanks as always for stopping by!


Love,

Rawnessa <3

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment