Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sweet Potato Hummus

I love the color that the sweet potato gives the hummus! :P
Hi all! Hope all is well! Sorry I have been a little absent lately. I wanted to take a little computer break and boy did that feel good! I enjoy not being on the computer sometimes. I feel like I can get a bit consumed by it and to be away from it and it's grasp was quite nice, I'll say! I think you should try it sometime. ;)

Well, today I have for you a dip that I really enjoyed, even though it was a little chunky and thick. I like my chunk a munks! :) It's a rendition of the mighty and wonderful hummus. Oh how I love you! But I wanted a little change from any original hummus recipe, so I added some sweet potato. I love sweet potato or winter squash in dips because they can thin out a recipe without the need of extra fat/oil or water, which can water down flavor. And it totally boosts nutrition too! Can't beat that! They also add a level of mellow sweetness which I love in any savory food that I am eating. Gotta have some flavor balancing! :) This is the dip that was hiding behind the flax crackers and was it sure good with them! To have both of them around was really a treat since I prefer not to eat any baked or fried crackers/chips and raw crackers are just too expensive for the amount I am getting. I can eat a whole bag of those in one sitting! Hehe...

Anyhoo, here is the recipe and I hope you enjoy it!
Yummy with some pulp crackers! :)


●●
Sweet Potato Hummus
Yield: Approximately 3 cups (About 12, ½ cup servings)

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
2 heaping cups of 1 inch chopped sweet potato, steamed or boiled until
         soft
3 tablespoons tahini (preferabley raw)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons minced parsley
1 teaspoon minced garlic
¾ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons water (or more, see tip below)


Directions:

Place the chickpeas in the food processor and process until the chickpeas are somewhat broken down. Add the cooked sweet potato, tahini, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, and salt. Start the processor and stream in the extra virgin olive oil and water. You may need to stop the processor and scrape down the sides or work the mixture in two batches to break down until somewhat smooth. It will most likely be a bit chunky (just how I like it :) ). Be patient, it will get there! Enjoy!

Tips:
  • Feel free to add more liquid (water, lemon juice, or sweet potato boiling water) to make the dip a little smoother, but make sure to adjust the flavors after doing so. No one likes a watered down dip! :P
  • You can swap the parsley out with cilantro and it will bring a different flavor, but an awesome one at that. Love my cilantro. :)
  • If you like some cumin in your hummus, feel free to add some. Cumin, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes are a match made in heaven. :) I would start with about ½ teaspoon and work your way up. 
●●

This dip is packed full of manganese, Vitamin A, and fiber. Yummo! Check out its other stats below.  

Here is the full nutritional information for the dip and below is the basic nutritional information from CRON-O-Meter:

Thank you all for stopping by and I hope you enjoy the recipe! I would love to hear your thoughts! :) 

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment