Monday, January 7, 2013

Yellow Split Pea Curry Dip

The dip looks a little funny on top of the rice and it's a little camouflaged but they tasted so good together! 
Hello all! I hope all is well and that you are having a great start to the week. The recipe I have for you today is so simple to make, but is so good. If you like anything coconut curry, like I do, then you will love this dip.

If I had more yellow split peas, I would have totally doubled this recipe! It was gone way too fast and as a result, the photos didn't come out great. I was trying so hard to bulk up the photo with something and the only things I had on hand were cucumbers and brown rice. LOL! Oh well. At least you got to see it's pretty yellow color.

Every time I have a curry spiced dish, I always feel like it needs coconut because the mixed curry spices and coconut seem to go together like almond butter and banana or bread and butter. Yummm....

It's so easy to make coconut butter too if you have some dried unsweetened coconut flakes on hand. Just make sure the coconut flakes are at room temperature (since it creams easier in the processor than when it is cold from the fridge/freezer, which is where I store my coconut flakes and nuts/seeds) and whiz them up in the food processor for about 10 minutes. You have to be patient but you will be pleasantly surprised when the flakes turn into a beautiful creamy butter. I will do a post on this one day with step by step photos, along with how I make my own tahini. It's so economical! I love being able to eat like a healthy queen, even on a tight budget! :P

Well, here goes the dippity dip!


●●

Yellow Split Pea Curry Dip
Yield: Approximately 1 cup (About 3 1/3 cup servings)

Ingredients:
1 cup cooked yellow split peas, drained
2 tablespoons softened coconut butter (not oil!)
½ tablespoon coconut sugar (or another sweetener such as honey, xylitol, maple syrup or 
               coconut nectar)
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
½ teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon curry powder
¼ teaspoon salt

Directions:
Place the peas, coconut butter, coconut sugar, ginger, garlic, curry powder, and salt in the food processor and process until completely smooth. Enjoy!

Notes:
  • If you don't have yellow split peas, green split peas would work in a pinch, as well as red lentils. Mmmm.... :)
●●

I could just eat it straight up with a fork, it's so yummers. :)
I love beans because they are full of fiber and keep things moving in the intestinal tract, if you know what I mean. :P Sorry, but it's true! This dip not only has a good amount of fiber per serving, but it also has a substantial amount of protein, manganese and complex carbohydrates for sustained energy. I'm dipping away... :)

Here is the full nutritional information for the dip and below is it's basic nutritional information from CRON-O-Meter:

I hope you enjoy the dip as much as my boyfriend and I did! Thanks for stopping by! 

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment