Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cheezy Chickpea Cheeze Dip (or Sauce)


Hi everyone! I hope you have been doing well! Sorry I have been so absent as of late. My new goal now is to post at least once a week. I was trying to go for everyday, but life somehow got in the way, if you know what I mean. But recipes are always developing in my mind and if you have any requests I would love to hear them!

Alright, so today's recipe is my ode to cheesiness. :P No, not to my cheezy nature! Hehe... Although I am pretty cheezy, if I say so myself. :D But it is an ode to a dip that I almost always make and has been a weekly staple for my boyfriend and I. I make slight different variations of this with whatever beans I have on hand, so feel free to experiment and veer off from the recipe. I know I always ending up doing that! :)

I usually use a food processor for all of my dips, but this time I wanted something extra smooth that the food processor couldn't give me so it can be more of a sauce consistency; also since I  intended this recipe to go on some zucchini noodles topped with some grape tomatoes and parsley! Yum! Although, I think it will be gone before I make me some noodles! LOL! This would also be great on a salad as a dressing if you add a little extra acidity from lemon juice or some apple cider vinegar or of course as a dip! :P I hope you enjoy!



●●

Cheezy Chickpea Cheeze Dip (or Sauce)
Yield: Approximately 1 ½ cups (About 6, ¼ cup servings)

Ingredients:
¼ cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1 ½ cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
½ cup water
1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon coconut nectar (or maple syrup or coconut sugar)
¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried onion flakes
¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
1/8 teaspoon yellow mustard seed powder (optional, but yummers!)

Directions:
In a small blender (such as a Magic Bullet type personal blender) grind down the pine nuts and sunflower seeds until they turn into a powder or nut buttery like consistency. Set aside.

(*If you have a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix or Blendtec, you can just throw all the ingredients in the blender, with the water going in first, and watch it turn smooth and yummy! :)  )

In that same blender, add the chickpeas and water and blend until completely smooth. I recommend blending half the chickpeas at a time with half the water so the blades catch all the ingredients to blend.

To the chickpeas, add the nut and seed mixture, lemon juice, coconut nectar, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, onion flakes, cayenne powder and mustard seed powder and blend until completely smooth. Enjoy! 


Tips:
  • If you don't have pine nuts, feel free to use any other nut or seed you have around. It will still be yummy! :) 
  • Feel free to use any other white bean as well, such as navy or cannellini beans. And if you don't have those, any other bean will do! The flavor will be a little different, but it will still be yum! You just may need to adjust the water amount depending on what bean you use. Always start with a little less and work your way up.
  • Garnish with pine nuts and cayenne (or paprika or chipotle) for extra prettiness. ;)
●●

Love the pine nuts! :)
I love that bean dips (or sauces) have plenty of fiber and great amounts of protein! And this dip (sauce) is no exception! Woot! 

Here is the full nutritional information for this dip and below is the basic nutritional information from CRON-O-METER:

Thank you so much for stopping by! I really appreciate it. I hope you enjoy the recipe and have an awesome day! :) I'll be seeing you soon!

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment