Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Curried Edamame Dip

The dip's ready for it's closeup! 
Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I know I'm super happy that the sun is shining and that I can actually sit outside in the sun without a sweater on! Woot! Being from New York, it does feel a little odd that it is so warm out in February. But I ain't complainin'! LOL!

Well, today I wanted to use a different bean to create a dip. I have been thinking of making an edamame dip for some time now and ever since I bought some in the store the other day, a dip has been formulating in my head. At first I wanted to do a ginger miso flavored dip, but I figured there are so many others like that out there already and I wanted to be a little different. So, I used curry powder (since I love it so much) and some chopped cauliflower for added texture and nutrition. It's super duper yummy and easy! I love these quick dips. :D

When buying edamame, be sure to buy the organic kind since it is a soybean and almost all the soybeans that are grown in the United States are genetically modified, which isn't cool in my book, especially after reading so many studies on the negative effects of them in animals and how they can cause miscarriages. Not my cup of tea! Plus they contain little to no pesticide residue and organic is better for the environment. It's a win win in my book! They definitely do sell the organic kind, so be on the look out!
Edamame dip catching some Arizona rays. :P
Now, I have a butt load (pardon my vocabulary :P ) of coconut meat around that I do not want to waste so I am using it a lot in dips, but you could totally substitute with other things if you don't have any lying around the fridge. :P Other nuts and seeds can work in a pinch (haha I love that phrase :P ) and I give some substitution options below.

 I'll be trying to make a raw dip soon, since the weather is warming up and I'm craving more water dense and raw foods. I've been experimenting with beets, but it didn't go so well. :P But I will try again! Anyhoo, I hope you enjoy the dip!



●●
Curried Edamame Dip
Yield: Approximately 1 ½ cups (About 3, ½ cup servings)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup young Thai Coconut Meat (see below for substitutions)
½ to 2 tablespoons water
1 heaping cup frozen and shelled edamame, lightly steamed (preferably organic)
1 cup chopped cauliflower (1 inch chop)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¾ teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon salt
¼ + 1/8 teaspoon curry powder



Directions:
Place the coconut meat in a small blender, such as a Magic Bullet blender, and blend with the water until smooth. Don’t add too much water as you just want enough water to get the blades moving and to get a nice creamy consistency. Put aside.
Place the edamame, cauliflower, lemon juice, garlic, salt, curry powder, and coconut cream in the food processor and process until completely smooth. It may take a few minutes and you will need to scrape down the food processor sides a few times. It will get there I promise! 
Enjoy with your favorite dippers!


Tips:
  • To make the coconut cream, blend about 1/3 cup young Thai coconut meat with about ½ to 2 tablespoons of water in a small personal blender like a Magic Bullet or Tribest personal blender until really thick and smooth. Just add enough water for the blades to catch the mixture. You don't want it too watery. This should yield about what you need for this recipe.
  • If you have no young Thai coconut cream, no fret! Feel free to replace the young Thai coconut cream with 3 tablespoons of cashew or almond butter or any other creamy nut/seed butter you have. You can also grind down about 1/4 cup of cashews or other creamy nut in the food processor first until it becomes almost a nut butter consistency before putting any other ingredients for the dip in it. Just add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to the mixture when processing to achieve a creamy texture in the final product. You may need more or less water depending on how soft the mixture gets. 
●●

I love green colored dips. :)
This dip is pretty low in calories for the amount you are getting per serving and it also packs a nutritional kick! It has 41% of your daily value of Vitamin C and 8 grams of protein per serving! Woot! It also contains almost half your daily value of folate, almost 40% of your daily value of manganese and 4 grams of fiber. Can't go wrong with that! :D

Here is the full nutritional information of this dip and below is the basic nutritional information from CRON-O-Meter

Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out my blog. I will be back soon with another recipe! Have an awesome day! :)

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment