Monday, February 18, 2013

Yummy Creamy Cabbage Slaw

I'm ready to dig in! :P
Hi everyone! I hope everyone is doing well! I'm so sorry that I have not posted in so long. It has been a super busy week at work and by the time I get home, all I want to do is get cozy and have a nice dinner. :P But I finally got to making a recipe that I was able to take a picture of and that I wrote down the ingredients.

It's not a dip, but it is super duper yummy! I'm loving it's goodness and vitamin content to boot! You won't feel like you're eating something healthy because it is so creamy. However, I do want to see if I can make it lower in fat and calories by adding peeled zucchini to the dressing so that it will still remain creamy and have body from the fiber in the zucchini. I'm sure it will taste just as yummy! I will let you know of an update on that for sure!
The shredded cabbage almost reminds me of spaghetti! Yum!
I was inspired to make this slaw because of a desperate need to use up some cabbage in the fridge and the desire to mimic the flavors of a tempeh salad that I used to get from a health food store in New York that was so yummy! With no tempeh in the house and with the desire to make a raw dish instead of cooked, I went straight for the cabbage and slawed it up! It came out so creamy and yummy! You don't have to use all the dressing for the recipe if you like your salad a little drier and the rest could be used as a dip! Just saying... :P

Enjoy the yumminess! :)


●●
Creamy Cabbage Slaw
Yield: Approximately 5 – 6 cups (About 4, 1½ cup servings)

Ingredients:
For the Salad:
4 cups finely shredded cabbage
1 cup chopped red bell pepper (½ inch chop)
¼ cup raisins
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds

For the Dressing:
½ cup cashews
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon coconut sugar (or coconut nectar, maple syrup or other
preferred sweetener)
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ teaspoon curry powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1/16 teaspoon of ground black pepper

Directions:
For the Salad:
Place the cabbage, red bell pepper, raisins and sunflower seeds in a large bowl and mix with hands until combined. Set aside.

For the Dressing:
In a small blender (such as a Magic Bullet type personal blender), grind down the cashews until they turn into a powder. You may need to do half the amount of cashews at a time. Then add the water, lemon juice, coconut sugar, garlic, curry powder, salt and black pepper and blend until completely combined.
Place the dressing on the salad and mix well to combine. You may not need to use all the dressing but I did (Me and my love can't get enough dressing! :P ). Enjoy! 


Tips:
  • Using a mandoline for the cabbage makes shredding the cabbage so much quicker. Just be careful with the blade! That thing is pretty darn sharp! (I've cut myself one too many times on that thing!).
  • If you don't have cashews, feel free to use any other nut or seed you have around. It will still be yummy! :) 
●●


This salad is full of Vitamin C and K and has a good amount of protein! Wohoo! 

Here is the full nutritional information for this salad and below is the basic nutritional information from CRON-O-Meter:

I hope you all enjoy the lovely salad! I will try my best to post more often! I will definitely be back with more recipes! :) Thank you so much for stopping by. Take care and I'll be back soon!

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment