Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Oaty Blueberry Muffin Cookies (GF, SF, & oil free!)

Yummers and super moist! :)
Hi all! I am back! I hope you all have been doing well! I can't promise that I will be posting constantly, but I will be here every now and then. I have been working a lot and the last thing I want to do when I get home is go on my super duper slow computer to type up a post. (Note to self: get computer fixed!) Most of the time I just want to eat and then sleep! LOL! But if other bloggers can do it with a full time job on the side, I can at least post something every once in a while. :)

That doesn't mean to say that I have not been making recipes! I have been loving making recipes still for sure and I have a repertoire of awesome low fat vegan dips that I would love to share with you all! However, by the time I want to take a picture of it to share, it is all gone. I sometimes can't help myself. Hehe... :P 

Well, today for you all I don't have a dip recipe (because there are no pictures hehehe..) but I do have an oober awesome gluten free cookie-esque recipe! The reason I made this recipe was because my boyfriend and I went to this vegan soy ice cream shop and bakery around the area where we live called Nami (oh my goodness, if you are into sweets and are vegan you must check this place out!). Usually I do not consume anything with cane sugar, but I figured since the boyfriend and I were going out, that we could treat ourselves, especially since it is organic! :P And boy did we! They had a gluten free blueberry baked doughnut that we had to try. It was sooooo.... good. Oh my goodness, no words can describe it. What I loved is that it was made with organic ingredients and that it was so moist. It had a glaze on it that it didn't even need, it was so good (and was sweet enough on its own). I wish I had pictures to share. :( It was devoured too quickly!

Source: http://tsoynami.com/

Anyhoo, before I start drooling on the keyboard, here is the recipe. :P I decided to make something very similar at home, but not as sweet. I don't have a doughnut baking pan or even a muffin tin for that matter, so I decided to make little muffin cookie shaped bites. I wanted the texture of the doughnut that we ate and I sure accomplished that! And without the oil or sugar! Woohoo! They are better for you and still taste yums! Well, here goes the recipe:

●●
Oaty Blueberry Muffin Cookies
Yield: Approximately 24 cookies/servings (a tablespoon each)

Ingredients:
For the Dry Ingredients:
2/3 cup gluten free steel cut oats ground into a flour (or 1 cup GF oat flour)
½ cup millet, ground into a flour (or 2/3 cup millet flour)
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
¼ teaspoon salt
½ - ¾ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (amount depending how much you like blueberries!)

For the Wet Ingredients:
¼ cup cashews (soaked in hot water for about 15 minutes)
¾ cup chopped soft pitted dates, lightly packed (about 6 large medjool dates)
1 cup chopped sweet variety apples, such as fuji (1 inch chop)
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons coconut nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons ground flax seed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large bowl, combine the oat flour, millet flour, baking powder and salt. Mix with a whisk until combined. Add the blueberries and mix again. Set aside.
In a small blender (I use my trusty magic bullet blender!) add the cashews, dates, apple, water, coconut nectar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice and blend away! You may need to scrape the sides of the container a few times to get it all blended well. You want it to become a somewhat smooth paste. It’s okay if it is a little grainy. Place this in a medium sized bowl and add the flax. Mix to combine.
Add the cashew/apple paste to the dry ingredients with a spatula and mix until all ingredients are combined. Try not to break the blueberries but if you do, it will still taste good. :) Set aside for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Drop the batter by tablespoon measure onto parchment lined cookie sheets and flatten them down a bit.
Bake for about 12 – 15 minutes (be careful that they don’t get too brown! They won’t be mushy in the middle but will still be soft. It has more of a muffin texture). Let cool for as long as you can wait and enjoy!! 

Tips:
  • Feel free to replace the oat flour with millet flour,  brown rice flour, or buckwheat flour and/or replace the millet flour with oat flour, brown rice flour, or buckwheat flour. The result should be very similar, if not the same!
  • Make sure that the dates are soft. It makes it so much easier to blend, especially when you don't have a high speed blender! If they are too dry, just let them soak for about an hour before using them in the recipe. 
  • Feel free to use another nut if you can't use cashews or use another fruit if you are in the mood for something else. Be creative and have fun! :)
●●

I'm going to eat one now. Hehehe...


Not only are these treats low in fat, they are low in sugar, and calories! Woot! Check out their nutrient stats below.
Here is the full nutritional information for these cookies and below is the basic nutritional information from CRON-O-Meter:

Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you all enjoy the recipe and and have an awesome day! If you ever have any questions or comments, just let me know! I love to hear from you all! :)

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment