Thursday, February 20, 2014

Gluten Free Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Apple Muffins


Yummy Muffins!
Hi all! It has been forever since I have blogged here and boy am I glad I got something for you finally! :) I have tons of recipes that I have been writing down but many have not been photographed unfortunately. But I will still keep you posted on new recipes coming up!

Alright, I also have some news to tell you. The baking bug has hit me. Oh it has hit me hard I tell you! I've been baking up a storm and have loved experimenting! I think I have Shauna from Gluten Free Girl to thank for that. I love reading her blog posts and how she makes gluten free baking easy for everyone. She is also the person who inspired me to bake by weight instead of volume, which makes for easier cleanup and more accurate results. Ever since I bought that scale, I have never looked back to baking with cups. However, I will try to use both types of measurements when writing my recipes for you all here to make it easier for people who do not own a scale. But, I tell you, it is so much fun using it! And if you use a scale, you can easily adapt your recipe with different flours and make it all your own! I use ratios now for all my baking, from Michael Ruhlman's Ratio book, to create my own recipes from scratch with any ingredients I choose and for that a scale is essential! It makes baking so much easier and fun! Although, I do have to say that Shauna's website and Michael's book aren't vegan; however you could totally adapt the recipes to make them vegan and that also makes it fun and challenging! Plus, I get to do some math while I am working with the ratios! Oh how I miss math (I used to teach math, but that's a story for another time...).

So, for this recipe, I used a ratio of Flour:Liquid:Fat:Vegan Egg
                                                      2   :   2   : 1   :     1
                                                  grams:  150 :  150  : 75 :  75
However, I did use a mixture of some pureed apples and coconut oil for the fat. I try to keep the fat down in baking recipes and I also used the apple as the egg part.

Hopefully that makes sense. :P

Alright, so here is a recipe, which will put the pieces together. :)

Mmmm... So good with a cold glass of almond milk. :P
 
                                                                              ●  ● 

Apple Oatmeal Raisin Muffins
Yield: ~10 muffins                       Prep Time: ~35 - 40 minutes

Ingredients:
100 grams gluten free oat flour
25 grams teff flour
25 grams buckwheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
150 grams water
150 grams chopped apple (with skin)
80 grams coconut sugar
25 grams coconut oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 packet individually sized packets of stevia (optional; just for a little extra sweetness) (I use NuNaturals non-bitter stevia powdered extract)
75 grams raisins
35 grams chopped walnuts

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl, whisk oat flour, teff flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.

In a blender, blend the water, apple, coconut sugar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and the stevia until smooth. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. Then add the raisins and walnuts and mix to combine.

Fill regular sized lined muffin tins about 3/4 full and place in oven on the middle rack for about 20-25 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean). Set aside to cool on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes before you remove from muffin tins. Then cool muffins themselves on a cooling rack until completely cooled (if you can wait!). Then... devour. :P
                                                                      
Notes:
  • Feel free to replace some of the flours with another flour that you have easily accessible, like brown rice flour, quinoa flour or millet flour. It will taste slightly different but that's what makes each recipe unique and fun! Just don't replace with coconut flour as that lends itself to a whole other food chemistry! That will suck up all the moisture in this recipe for sure! Trust me, I've learned my lesson the hard way :P
  • These ratios can let you play and swap out ingredients! So feel free to use a steamed or roasted sweet potato or pumpkin or pureed zucchini for the apple! Same with the raisins and walnuts; feel free to replace with any other nut or dried fruit. Oooh! Dried cherries and chopped almonds would be divine in this... :D Go crazy and have fun! (I've been saying fun a whole lot in this post! LOL!)
                                                                          ●  ● 


Since it is a muffin, the nutritional value isn't going to be top notch but it does have some goodness in there! For one muffin, there is almost 25% of your daily value of manganese and 6% of your daily value for iron! Plus, it is all whole grain with much less fat and sugar than you would see in a commercial muffin so it's almost on the healthier side. :) After all, it is a baked goodie. :P

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to copy and paste the nutritional facts right here because my snipping tool is acting up but I do have the link here to Cron-O-Meter.

Well, I hope you all have an awesome day and enjoy the muffins! Thank you so much for stopping by; it is always much appreciated.  It really makes my day when I see that someone has viewed any of my blog posts. And I would love to hear from you so never hesitate to ask a question or drop me some knowledge. I love learning! Much love to you all!

Love,
Rawnessa <3



Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment