Monday, May 26, 2014

What to do With Carrot Pulp? : Orangey Pistachio Oat Bars


Hey all! I hope you are all doing well. :) I had an awesome day today and yesterday. I scored a 44 lb. case of some cheap organic bananas from a wholesale produce place near me (only $23 baby!) as well as some awesome red grapes! They are my faves! Now I can finally make some banana ice cream! My love and I usually only buy about 3 - 4 bunches of bananas at a time and by the time I want to make ice cream out of them, there are too little left or they are going to be used for the next smoothie. :( So, I took it upon myself to get me some nanners! Lovin' it!

Not only did I score some good eats, I also got to sell a few of my goodies at an event near me with my friend Elizabeth from Be More Raw. I was so fortunate to be able to work along side her and be able to sell my treats with her. She has some awesome treats and is so inspiring! You should definitely check her out. :) It was also so great to meet all the wonderful people there who are so full of love, inspiration, and generosity. I am definitely going to do another event soon!

Anyhoo, I have another carrot pulp recipe for you all! Hopefully these recipes aren't boring you but I know there are people out there like me wondering, "What the heck can I do with this pulp stuff?!" as well, so I thought it would be helpful.

Well, this recipe is definitely for the orange lovers out there. The citrus undertones are pretty strong here but are so pleasant and yummy with the crunch of the pistachios. Plus, I love the chewiness that the bar has and the base holds up really well. The topping tends to fall off a bit but if you press it into the batter before you bake it, it should stabilize itself a little bit better than mine did. They are so much fun to make and as always, if you don't have one ingredient, I'll try my best to give you a substitute. Recipes aren't meant to hold you down; they're meant to help you break free and branch off to make the recipe your own! When you put your love and soul into your food, it all comes through in the flavor. So, go ahead and play and I hope you enjoy these bars as much as we did! :)

Orangey Pistachio Oat Bars

Servings: ~12 bars
Yield: 1 8 square inch pan
Prep Time: 35 - 45 minutes

Ingredients:
Base:
170 grams carrot pulp (1 3/4 cup lightly packed)
50 grams teff flour (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon)
50 grams gluten free oat flour (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon)
3 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
70 grams finely diced pineapple (scant 1/2 cup) (optional but yummy :P)
85 grams ripe pear (or apple) (1/2 cup chopped)
75 grams maple syrup
60 grams orange juice (1/4 cup)
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil (25 grams)
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
55 grams gluten free oats (1/2 cup)

Oat Crumb Topping:
55 grams gluten free oats (1/2 cup)
30 grams chopped pistachios (1/4 cup chopped)
10 grams (1 tablespoon) teff flour
Big pinch Himalayan pink salt
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

For the base of the bars: Whisk the carrot pulp, teff flour, oat flour, flax seed, baking powder, orange zest, and salt in a large bowl. Add the pineapple and mix to combine. Set aside.

In a blender, blend the pear, maple syrup, orange juice, coconut oil and vanilla until completely smooth. Add this to the carrot pulp mixture and mix to combine. Fold in the oats until combined. Place into a parchment lined 8 inch square pan and spread evenly to cover the whole bottom. Set aside.

For the oat crumb topping: In a small bowl, mix the oats, pistachios, teff flour and salt until combined. Add the maple syrup and coconut oil and mix all the ingredients together. It will be crumbly. Top the base with this mixture and press it into the base a little bit to help keep it in place.

Place in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned and the middle is no longer raw looking. Enjoy! :)

Substitutions:

  • If you don't have any teff flour, no worries! Ground raw buckwheat groats would work wonderfully in this recipe as well as quinoa flour, sorghum flour or more gluten free oat flour. 
  • If you don't have pineapple on hand, it isn't very necessary to the recipe but I enjoyed the specs of pineapple throughout the bar and biting into one every now and then for some pineapple sweetness. :)
  • Pistachios give this recipe an awesome exotic flare, but if you do not have them on hand, no worries! I know I barely buy pistachios because they're so expensive, but they are an awesome treat and sometimes too good to pass. :P But, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds would be just as yummy here. I would still chop up the walnuts and almonds for this recipe, but the seeds need not be chopped, making it much easier and still just as tasty. Yum.... :P




Here is the nutritional breakdown from CRON-O-Meter.com for these little treats. What I find awesome about them is that they contain a good amount of manganese per serving as well as vitamin C! I'm pretty sure that's all from the pineapple and oranges. :P 

Well, I hope you all enjoyed the recipe and have fun in the kitchen. This will be my last post (at least for a little while) for the "What to do With Carrot Pulp?" series and I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know if you thought that they were helpful and if you think I should do more posts like this. I always love a challenge and coming up with new recipes to use this wonderful ingredient is super fun! I love being able to hear what you all have to say I am always open to suggestions for different posts or topics; I appreciate you all and am always grateful to have visitors here. :)

Well, I will be back soon with another recipe! Have an awesome day! :)

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment