Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Jerkin' Black Bean Dip (Oil Free Recipe!)


Hi all! I hope you are all doing well. I haven't posted a dip recipe in a really long time. I mean, reaaaallllyyyy long.... So, being that the name of this blog is Quickie Dips, I thought I would give you guys a dip recipe (gasp..). I know, it has been long overdue, but I have to admit that I have been in love with creating baked good recipes lately and that is where my heart has been. I love using ratios when baking and it always brings me back to my math roots; and I also love the fact that one needs to use a little science to get the perfect product. So much fun :) .

Anyhoo, I decided to make a jerk seasoned black bean dip today. I wanted to make something that I haven't made before and a dip that had no oil, so I came up with this! I have been erring on the side of not using any oil in my recipes lately at home, simply because I just finished reading the 80/10/10 Diet by Dr. Douglas Graham (which is an awesome read by the way). He talks about how the optimal diet for humans is to get 80% of your calories from carbohydrates (sweet fruit) and the rest of your calories comprised of 10% fat and 10% protein.


It is definitely a fascinating concept and I do love that it makes mealtime so much easier. I also love the way I have been feeling and to be honest, since coming from an eating disordered past, I feel so much less guilt when eating an abundance of fruit. I love how it makes me feel full but not heavy, if you know what I mean. Plus, my digestion is so much better with an abundance of fruit and with all the extra water I have been drinking. ;) Although, I haven't completely dived into the diet, I have been loving the concept made by Freelee the Banana Girl (love her! You must check out her YouTube page) that says to eat all the fruit you desire until 4 pm and then have a high carbohydrate low fat meal at dinner. It's her Rawtill4 program, which is freaking awesome (it is a modified 80/10/10 diet)! I still incorporate some Himalayan salt and coconut aminos in my diet (which the 80/10/10 diet frowns upon) but my intake has been a lot lower these past few weeks, which I am happy about. I don't know if I'll keep this up forever, but I love learning about different ways to eat vegan and love looking at what works better for my body. I know some raw foodists who believe in the high fat raw vegan lifestyle but I definitely believe that a lower fat/high carb diet is much better for the body and one's digestion. Even The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, which is a very respected and informative study, discusses how countries who adhere to a diet that is high in whole cooked or raw carbohydrates and lower in fat have the least disease and better longer living life than countries who adhere to a high fat/high protein diet, which is what the American diet is based on. But I do feel that you should do what's best for your body. Experiment and enjoy the ride. :)


I definitely recommend you read these books or at least give them a look. You may be surprised what you learn. :) Anyhoo, here is the recipe that I promised. Beware, this recipe isn't for the bland palate. It is spicy and flavorful and oh so good. :)

Jerkin' Black Bean Dip

Yield: ~1 3/4 cup (513 grams)
Prep Time: 10 minutes 
Servings: ~7

Ingredients:
2 cupscooked black beans, drained (435 grams)
3 tablespoons hemp seeds/hearts (30 grams)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (25 grams)
1 tablespoon chopped dates (15 grams)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt (less or more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder (can add more if you like it really hot!)
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves 
1/16 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons water (more or less; use just enough to aid in blending into a smooth dip)

Instructions:
Place the beans, hemp seeds, lime juice, dates, garlic, salt, all the spices and the water in a blender and blend until smooth. You may use a food processor for this but the end result will not be as smooth (but that's totally okay!). Adjust water amount to desired consistency. Enjoy with some raw veggies, cucumbers, on a salad or whatever you like! :)

Substitutions:
  • Instead of hemp seeds, feel free to use any other nut/seed that suits your fancy! It may taste a little different but it will still be yumsters! 
Get in my belly... :P

What I love about this dip is that it is very low in fat, but still super duper flavorful! I also love that one serving provides you with a good amount of iron, folate, magnesium, manganese, and thiamine (vitamin B1). I love tasty food that also provides you with an abundance of nutrients! Woot woot!

Here are the nutrition facts for the dip according to CRON-O-Meter.

Thank you all for stopping by! I always appreciate the views and your opinions. Take care and have an awesome day! :)

Love,
Rawnessa <3


Print Friendly and PDF


No comments:

Post a Comment