Monday, January 19, 2015

Spicy Coconut Thai Curry Hummus

Yummy in my tummy. :P

Hi all! I hope you are having an awesome start to the new year! I really think this year is going to be so much more productive than last year and I'm hoping to really accomplish the goals I set out for myself.

This year, instead of saying that I am going to TRY to do something, I am going to say that I AM going to do it. No trying! If I really want to do it, I will do it and I need to push myself and get out of my comfort zone. Change is necessary for growth, I am finally realizing. I feel so blessed to be able to have the choice to make changes and grow.

Another thing I would like to accomplish in 2015, is to reach out to family and friends. I have always been a hermit and have been scared of social situations or of even getting in touch with old friends/family members because of fear of being judged on my character and who I am (I am a bit of an odd ball :P). But, I am pushing passed that to really create my own social community. I want to give more of myself to others as well and support causes that mean so much to me. Watching the movie, Living on One Dollar really spoke to me and made me realize that I really want to do more to make this world a better place; that even the littlest acts of kindness have an effect on people. If you have the chance to watch it, please do. It is such a heart warming movie that will move you. It is about four college film makers who decide to live their summer vacation in a small poor town in Guatemala on only one dollar a day. They learn a big lesson about community, how to survive and what it really is like for the people living in this town with so little money.

Well, now it is time for some hummus! When you're making goals for yourself, hummus is always good to have around, because it is yummy, easy to make and just makes everything better. Ha! At least for me it does. :P This time around, I made a creamy and spicy Thai curry hummus that is loaded with flavor and has no oil! It may look a little intimidating with all the spices in there, but fear not! It's still super easy! I wanted to replicate the flavor in a Thai red curry paste, but without having to buy the paste. I think it came out awesome, and hopefully it's pretty authentic in flavor! If not, at least it's still darn tasty, :P I hope you enjoy it!

Spicy Coconut Thai Curry Hummus

Yield: ~1 1/2 cups
Prep Time: ~15 minutes
Servings: ~4

120 grams (1/2 cup) coconut milk 
1/2 teaspoon dried lemongrass
265 grams (1 1/2 cups) cooked and drained chickpeas (garbanzos)
1 heaping tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cashews
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon thinly sliced serrano pepper (with seeds)
1/2 teaspoon fine pink Himalayan salt
1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted
1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
4 black peppercorns (1/8 teaspoon)
scant pinch cinnamon

Instructions:
Heat up the coconut milk to about 100⁰F (or until it is tepid to the touch; it shouldn't scald your finger). Add the lemongrass to this and let steep for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the chickpeas, green onion, lemon juice, cashews, garlic, ginger, serrano pepper, salt, coconut sugar, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, peppercorns, and cinnamon to a blender. When the 10 minutes is up for the lemongrass/coconut milk mixture, add this, with the lemongrass, to the blender, or food processor, with the rest of the ingredients.
Blend until smooth. Garnish with some chopped cilantro or thinly sliced green onion. Enjoy!



Here is the nutritional information for this dip from CRON-O-Meter. This dip is high in folate, copper, manganese, iron and phosphorous. Woot woot! It may be high in sodium for some, so feel free to decrease the salt amount if you'd like. Do what feels good for you! :)

Thank you all so much for stopping by! I really appreciate it so much. I hope your year is fruitful and filled with lots of love and growth! What are your goals for the new year? I would love to hear from you about them. Sending lots of love to you all and I will be back soon with another recipe! :)

Love,
Rawnessa <3

No comments:

Post a Comment